Saturday, July 31, 2010

BP_13 More on Adobe eLearning Suite

When I started the Master's Certificate program at Full Sail, I did not really have a clear idea of what I wanted to do or even could do with regards to updatng my instruction methods and materials--I only knew that what I was doing was not as effective or as fun as it could be.  I had some vague ideas of what might work--but how was I going to actually create the things that I sort of half-imagined?

The ECT class has exposed me to a variety of tools that could potentially address my needs, either through direct encounters or through other Full Sail students blogging and talking about things that they use or have come across.

Looking around on the Adobe website I came across the Adobe eLearning Suite--and after looking it over in the light of my experiences in this course, I was a bit surprised that this was not part of the software package that came with the course as it seems to fit right in with some of the things we are trying to accomplish.

The suite offers tools to help create instructional materials (Flash and Photoshop), but the centerpiece of the suite is Adobe Captivate 5.

While there are a variety of screen capture and screen recording packages out there (screenflow, for example), most of them really do not do much more than enable you to record and edit a video from your screen. This is useful, but it does not really go far enough or have enough flexibility, in my opinion.

The problem is that Captivate, like most Adobe products, is a bit on the expensive side--even with an educators discount the eLearning Suite 2 runs around $600. While that is not super expensive, its nothing to sneeze at, either. Luckily I was able to download a trial version of the software and play around with it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment