Wednesday, July 21, 2010

BP_8 Classrunner

Classrunner (http://www.classrunner.com/)  is a simple Course Management Software suite that is available for free or, in a slightly expanded and better supported version, for a low monthly cost. The cost depends upon the number of courses/students you wish to have active.




I am giving serious considering to implementing this software in my Graphic design courses in the coming school year, because of the combination of features and the low cost--and I can subsidize the cost through either a grant or through the technology fee that I charge my students, so it isn't a burden to me financially.

Here is a schedule of fees and features from the site:




I see three features as being of primary interest and usefulness to me: the forums; the ability to upload resources; and the photo gallery.

The forums provide an area where I can expand upon the assignments, providing additional details and commentary. They will also provide the students with an area where they can interact with me and other students in a less location and time-fixed manner on things that might be related to the content of the course, but not directly related to a particular project or assignment.

Classrunner also provides a server side resource storage capability, enabling me to provide my students with resources for projects (images, typefaces, links to tutorials) that they can access from anywhere they can access the internet.

There is also a photo gallery where students can dispaly their projects. I think that this will create more of a sense of having a completed project and the posibility of showing that project to friends and family.  Being able to showcase your work and to see the work of fellow students tends to be botha motivating and inspiring factor.

The following images present a closer look at some of the things potentially available, should you decide to use them:




The package provides for online assessment, surveys, lessons, and even has a wiki, so there seems to be a lot of flexibility there, enabling you to package a wide variety of courses and curriculum through this interface.  I should be able to collapse some of the more boring, but necessary, things I do into a format that is more accessable to the students--that they can access and review as needed, rather than having me spend class time going over material that they need, but that is not effectively presented in a classroom situation. This will free up more time for us to concentrate on doing things rather than on lectures or presentations.

The possbilities in a apckage such as this have me a bit motivated to play with it and implement it. I had considered doing some of these types of things before, but I would have had to develop the interface and techology myself (or pay a lot for it). With Classrunner I can hit the ground running.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really cool tool! I'm think I might go ahead and subscribe to this one. It's only $5 for the amount students I have in my classes. Thanks for sharing...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week I reviewed a web 2.0 tool similar to this, but I think I like this one better. I like the ability to provide online assessment and surveys. It does seem to be very flexible and can be used for many purposes in the classroom. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete